AIFS Alumni Ambassador Program
Want to be an Ambassador? Apply here!
Planning an event? Order AIFS materials!
Want to know more? Meet the current Ambassadors!
Do you want to share your study abroad experiences with other students either on campus or online? Do you want to do more? The AIFS Alumni Ambassador program is a para-professional development program designed to allow a limited number of exceptional AIFS alumni the opportunity to promote studying abroad on their campus, develop skills relevant to their career aspirations, and share their experience with interested students. Currently less than 10% of the US college population studies abroad, so there is a lot of room for growth. As an Alumni Ambassador, your primary responsibility is to help spread the word about studying abroad at your university.
What are the responsibilities?
Alumni Ambassadors have an important job, but you won't be going it alone! You will be provided with a helpful toolkit filled with resources as well as support from the AIFS Alumni Team and the AIFS representative for your campus.
- Attend the AIFS Alumni Ambassador training from August 2-4, 2015 at the AIFS Headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut – your travel expenses will be paid by AIFS
- Dedicate at least 10 hours per month to completing designated activities
- Become familiar with all AIFS programs, not just the one you studied on
- Work with your campus study abroad office to determine how you can be most helpful to them
- Work with the Alumni Team and your campus representative to develop a plan of action for your year
- Report your activities to the Alumni Team on a monthly basis
- Assist interested students and AIFS applicants on your campus
Why should I apply?
- Be a part of globalizing your campus
- Relive your experience abroad by sharing with other students and writing about your study abroad experience
- Opportunity to share your experience in multiple formats (we welcome and encourage blogs, photos, videos, social media activities, and much more. Be creative!)
- Learn how to market your study abroad experience in your professional life
- Résumé and LinkedIn profile review
- Letter of recommendation upon successful completion of the program
- Direct support from the AIFS Alumni Team and AIFS staff around the U.S.
- Expenses-paid training in Stamford, Connecticut
Training will include such topics as:
- How to successfully promote study abroad on your home campus
- Event hosting tips and assisting your college or university's International Office
- Social Media best practices – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Blogging, etc.
- Translating your study abroad experience: how to go beyond "it was amazing!"
- The impact and added value of study abroad for career development
Training will be held on August 2-4, 2015. AIFS will provide you with a round-trip flight from your nearest major airport to New York; transportation between the airport, hotel, and AIFS Headquarters in Stamford, CT; two nights' accommodation in a local hotel room shared with another Alumni Ambassador; and most meals.
- One $500 travel voucher upon successful completion of the program
- Exceptional performance will be recognized with an opportunity to attend NAFSA Advocacy Day in Washington, D.C.
Who can apply?
Applicants must be:
- Able to attend training from August 4-6, 2015, in Stamford, CT – your travel expenses will be paid by AIFS
- Full-time undergraduate students at a U.S. college or university, graduating May 2016 or later
- In good academic standing
- AIFS program Alumnus/Alumna
- Outgoing and excited about sharing your experience with students and faculty
- Financially cleared by AIFS
- Approved by your study abroad office (AIFS will seek approval on your behalf)
How do I apply?
Applications for the 2015-2016 academic year must be submitted by May 1, 2015.
- A cover letter, indicating why you want to be an Alumni Ambassador and any additional information you think highlights why you are an exceptional candidate
- A favorite photo from your study abroad experience
- A professional resume
Preferred formatting: Cover letter and resume in PDF, photo in JPG
Successful applicants will be invited to interview. All applicants will be notified by June 1, 2015.
If you have any questions, please email the Alumni Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.