AIFS Alumni Ambassador Program
So you like the idea of the Alumni Advocate Program, but you want to take it a step further? We encourage you to apply for the New Alumni Ambassador Program! As Alumn,i you are very important to us as we look to improve upon and expand our study abroad programs. We are interested in what your study abroad experience meant to you and how it has impacted your on-going academic and career pursuits.
The overall purpose of the AIFS Alumni Ambassador program is to provide enthusiastic alumni with the opportunity to share their study abroad experience with others and become more involved with AIFS. The efforts of the AIFS Alumni Ambassadors will encourage new students to take part in the life-changing opportunity that AIFS provides.
- Must be a full-time student at a U.S. college or university
- In good academic standing
- AIFS Alumnus/Alumna
- Outgoing and excited about sharing your experience with students and faculty
- Financially cleared by AIFS
- Endorsement of your study abroad office
- Must provide a copy of résumé to be considered
Responsibilities of an AIFS Alumni Ambassador
The efforts of Alumni Ambassadors are extremely helpful to AIFS. Prospective students are eager to hear real stories about studying abroad. As an AIFS Alumni Ambassador, you will be provided with a helpful toolkit filled with resources needed to complete the activities below as well as support from the AIFS Alumni Coordinator.
- Become familiar with all AIFS programs, not just the one you studied on
- Attend the AIFS Alumni Ambassador training in early August at the AIFS Headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut
- Dedicate at least 10 hours per month to completing designated activities
- Meet with the AIFS Regional Director when he/she is on your home campus
- Be in contact with and report to the AIFS Alumni Relations Coordinator on a monthly basis to report on the completion of activities
- Assist interested students and AIFS applicants on your campus
AIFS Alumni Ambassador Training
Each selected ambassador will take part in an exclusive AIFS Alumni Ambassador Training, where you'll learn more about:
How to Successfully Promote AIFS Study Abroad on Your Home Campus
- Academics – Classroom presentations and assisting your college or university's International Office
- Student Activities – For a specific club or organization, such as Pan-Hellenic, International Relations, etc
- Social Media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Blogging, etc.
Learn about AIFS Study Abroad Programs & Other Opportunities at AIFS
- January Term Programs – Three weeks spent in one of six amazing international cities.
- Summer Programs – Four & six week programs in 15 different countries.
- Semester Programs – Semester or academic year programs in 19 different countries.
- Gap Year, Internships, and Volunteer Opportunities
Translating Your Study Abroad Experience: Finding a Job!
- Branding Yourself
- The Impact and Added Value of Study Abroad for Career Development
The training will be held on Wednesday, August 7th. AIFS will provide you with a round-trip flight from your nearest major airport to New York departing on Tuesday, August 6th and returning on Thursday, August 8th. We will also provide transportation between the airport, hotel, and AIFS Headquarters in Stamford, CT; two nights’ accommodations in a local hotel room shared with another Alumni Ambassador; most meals; and a half-day excursion in New York City.
The Fall 2013 Ambassadors at the Top of the Rock in NYC. Meet the current AIFS Ambassadors.
- Alumni Ambassador Application - Application for Fall 2014 coming soon
- Your favorite photo during your AIFS Program
AIFS Alumni Ambassadors Benefits
- One $500 travel voucher for the completion of the program
- Periodical bonuses for exceptional performance and an ability to apply to attend NAFSA Advocacy Day in Washington, D.C.
- Résumé review and letter of recommendation
- Direct support from the AIFS Alumni Relations Coordinator and AIFS staff around the U.S.
- Expenses-paid training to Stamford, Connecticut, on how to successfully promote AIFS Study Abroad
- Opportunity to relive your experience abroad by sharing with other students and writing about your study abroad experience (great for your résumé!)
- Be a part of globalizing your campus
Sample Activities & Events
All events must first be approved by AIFS. A calendar of events will collectively be decided upon with help from the AIFS Alumni Relations Coordinator and Regional Director for your campus. In order to receive credit for your activity or event, you must complete and return the AIFS Evaluation Form upon completion of the events. We encourage Alumni Advocates to be creative when it comes to planning event,s and here are a few suggestions:
- Attend an education abroad fair on your campus with the AIFS Regional Director
- Volunteer in the study abroad office
- Assist with events, orientations, or re-entry events
- Hang posters on your campus
- Connect with clubs or plan activities on your campus to talk about study abroad
- Academic or classroom presentations
- Presentations to Greek Life or Residence Halls
- Outreach through the campus TV Station, radio, or newspaper
- Write an article for the AIFS Newsletter for study abroad advisors
- Host an AIFS information table in a common area on campus
- Become an Alumni Referral
- Submit a blog to “Tales from Around the Globe”
- Be an alumni contact for prospective AIFS students
- Complete a review on Abroad101.com
- Complete a review on GoOverseas.com
- Complete a review on RateMyStudyAbroad.com
- Post on the AIFS Study Abroad Facebook Page
- Post in the AIFS LinkedIn Page
- Write an article for the AIFS Alumni newsletter, Full Circle
Applications are currently being accepted for the 2014-2015 academic year.
Questions? Please contact:
Alumni Relations Coordinator