- Why AIFS
- Find your program
- Study Abroad Locations
- Scholarships & Grants
- On Location
- Get Started
- Alumni Newsletter
Connect with Us!
Contact UsBy phone
Our phone lines are open 9am to 5pm EST Monday through Friday to assist you.
(203) 399-5597By mail
AIFS Study Abroad
1 High Ridge Park
Stamford, CT 06905
AIFS Alumni Ambassador Program
Did you enjoy studying abroad with AIFS? Do you want to share your study abroad experiences with other students on campus and online? The AIFS Alumni Ambassador program is a professional development and leadership program designed to allow a limited number of exceptional AIFS alumni the opportunity to promote studying abroad on their campus, develop skills relevant to their career aspirations, and share their experience with interested students. Currently less than 10% of the US college population studies abroad, so there is a lot of room for growth. As an Alumni Ambassador, your primary responsibility is to help spread the word about studying abroad at your university.
“The Alumni Ambassador program helped me process my study abroad experience while also providing opportunities for career development and networking with other alumni. I can’t recommend it enough!”
Taylor, AIFS Alumni Ambassador 2014-15
What are the responsibilities?
Alumni Ambassadors play an important role, but you won't be going it alone! You will be provided with a helpful toolkit filled with resources as well as support from the AIFS Alumni Team and the AIFS representative for your campus.
- Attend the AIFS Alumni Ambassador training in early August at the AIFS headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut – your travel expenses will be paid by AIFS
- Dedicate at least 80 hours for the academic year (about 10 hours per month) to completing designated activities
- Become familiar with all AIFS programs (not just the one you studied on)
- Connect with your campus study abroad office to determine how you can be most helpful to them
- Work with the Alumni Team and your campus representative to develop a plan of action for the school year
- Assist interested students and AIFS applicants on your campus
- Report your activities to the Alumni Team on a monthly basis
- Participate in professional development training on topics including: how to market your international experience, job interviewing techniques, and learning how to go abroad again
Why should I apply?
- Be a part of globalizing your campus
- Relive your time abroad by sharing with other students and writing about your study abroad experience
- Opportunity to share your experience in multiple formats (we welcome and encourage blogs, photos, videos, social media activities, and much more. Be creative!)
- Learn how to market your study abroad experience in your professional life
- Individual résumé and LinkedIn profile review
- Opportunity to create an e-portfolio for use in your job search
- Letter of recommendation upon successful completion of the program
- Direct support from the AIFS Alumni Team and AIFS staff around the U.S.
- Receive a $500 travel voucher upon successful completion of the program
- Exceptional performance will be recognized with an opportunity to attend NAFSA Advocacy Day in Washington, D.C.
- Expenses-paid training in Stamford, Connecticut
What is training like?
Fast-paced! We have roughly two days to cover a lot of information and allow you time to connect with the other program participants. We provide an Alumni Ambassador Handbook prior to training that all participants are expected to read.
We spend the training allowing Ambassadors time to learn how to articulate their experiences and craft an elevator pitch which they can use on their campuses and in the job search. We have modules that allow you to get comfortable with presenting at information tables, in classrooms and with student organizations.
Our top five goals with training are to:
- Meet AIFS staff and alumni to share your experience abroad
- Teach you how to promote studying abroad on your home campus
- Teach you how to present your promotional pitch about studying abroad
- Teach you the ins and outs of the Ambassador program
- Lay the groundwork for a year of personal and professional development
Training is held each year in early August. AIFS will provide you with a round-trip flight from your nearest major airport to New York; transportation between the airport, hotel, and training location in Stamford, CT; two nights' accommodation in a local hotel room shared with another Alumni Ambassador; and most meals. Students must be able to attend the entire training in order to participate in the program.
Who is eligible?
- All undergraduate students enrolled full-time at a US college or university
- Must be available for the duration of the academic year (August – early May)
- Must be in good financial standing with AIFS
- Participants must attend the training in early August
How do I apply?
Applications for the 2016-2017 academic year are now closed. Applications for the 2017-18 program will open in March of 2017 and close in early May. If you would like to share your experience abroad, we encourage you to join the Active Alumni program. If you have any questions, please email the Alumni Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.