Service Learning in Stellenbosch: Overview
Study in South Africa's second oldest city, 30 minutes from Cape Town. Live in the culturally rich University town surrounded by spectacular mountain ranges. Gain a greater understanding of the current challenges that South Africa faces on the Service Learning Program where students are placed with partnering service organizations for community service placement.
Program at a glance
- 5.5-week summer study abroad and service learning program in Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Open to college sophomores, juniors
- 2.8 minimum GPA required
- Students will be required to submit an essay (please consult your AIFS Admissions Officer for further details)
- No previous African language study required
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, meal plan, excursion to the Swellendam Mountains, trips to Cape Town and the Cape of Good Hope, and more. Optional AIFS Flight Package available.
- Earn 7 semester credits
- Students take one mandatory history/politics course as well as the service learning module
- Three other study abroad programs in Stellenbosch are also available
- The local AIFS Resident Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Transcripts issued by Stellenbosch University
- Visa not required for U.S. citizens for less than a 3-month stay.
Application and scholarship deadlines
- This program is full.
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship deadline is March 1.