Study Abroad in Salamanca: Overview
Live in Salamanca amongst the golden medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and soaring cathedrals. Study at the world-renowned University of Salamanca, known as the "Oxford of the Spanish world", and the third oldest university in Europe. Join the thriving, multicultural community of students who make Salamanca their home!
Explore other parts of Spain on excursions to Toledo, Segovia and Ciudad Rodrigo. Travel on the Optional AIFS Flight Package and begin your trip with a 3-day excursion to London, England en route to Salamanca.
Program at a glance
- Academic year, fall or spring semester (summer session also available)
- Open to high school graduates, college freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors
- 2.5 minimum GPA required
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, meals, excursions and cultural activities, airfare if selected, visits to Toledo, Segovia and Ciudad Rodrigo , and more. Optional travel packages available.
- Courses offered in art history, business, economics, film, history, linguistics, literature, political science, sociology, Spanish language, teaching Spanish as a second language, and more
- Four levels of instruction taught in Spanish by University professors: Elementary (no previous Spanish study required fall only); Intermediate or Advanced (two years high school or one year college); and Superior (excellent command needed to integrate into classes with Spanish students)
- 2-week orientation and Spanish language preparation in Salamanca consisting of 50 contact hours (3 credits)
- Students are matriculated in the Facultad de Filología of the University of Salamanca and fully integrated into University social and cultural life
- The local AIFS Resident Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Transcripts issued by the University of Salamanca
- Volunteer opportunities available
- Student visa must be obtained from the Spanish consulate before departure from the U.S.
Application and scholarship deadlines
- Application deadlines May 15 (fall); October 1 (spring).
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship application deadlines are April 15 (fall semester or academic year); September 15 (spring).
*Please note that applications, deposits and balance of fees arriving after the required deadline are subject to late fees.