Study Abroad in Granada: Overview
Study in the lively city of Granada, perched between the dazzling white peaks of the Sierra Nevada and the glistening blue Mediterranean of the Costa del Sol. During your stay you will see some of the most beautiful and intricate buildings of the medieval world and soak in traditional Spanish culture with the white-washed villages, flamenco music, bullfights and festivals.
Enjoy activities throughout the semester in and around Granada including visits to Alhambra and the Generalife Palace. Explore other parts of Spain on a 4 day excursion to Madrid and Castile. Travel on the optional AIFS Flight Package and begin your trip with a 3-day excursion to London, England en route to Granada. The Intensive Spanish orientation is now optional.
Program at a glance
- Academic year, fall or spring semester (summer sessions also available)
- Open to college freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors
- 2.5 minimum GPA required
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, meals, excursions and cultural activities, volunteering opportunities, visit to Gibraltar, Seville, Córdoba, and more. Optional travel package available.
- Courses taught in English and Spanish in anthropology, Arabic, art history, business, economics, education, geography, health sciences, history, Islamic studies, law, literature, music, political science, religion and sociology, plus Spanish language
- No previous Spanish study required for the Spanish Language and Culture course in English
- Internship Program Option also available
- Two years previous Spanish language study at the college level is required for the Spanish Language and Culture course in Spanish, three years at college level for the advanced Hispanic Studies program
- Optional Orientation in Granada comprises 80 contact hours (5 credits) of Spanish language study in the fall or 60 contact hours (4 credits) in the spring
- The local AIFS Resident Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Student visa must be obtained from the Spanish consulate before departure from the U.S.
- Transcripts issued by the University of Granada
Application and scholarship deadlines
- Application deadlines May 1 (fall); October 1 (spring)
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship application deadlines are April 15 (fall semester or academic year); September 15 (spring).
*Please note that applications, deposits and balance of fees arriving after the required deadline are subject to late fees.