Study Abroad in Barcelona: Overview
Spend 4 or 6 weeks in the second largest city in Spain. The cityís origins can be traced back to the first century BC and the Roman colony of Barcino. Its 2,000 years of history have left their mark on the cityís architectural, artistic and cultural heritage. Barcelona has been a center for innovation in art, architecture and style since the 19th century, as the surreal and colorful buildings of architect Antoni Gaudi testify. This spirit of creativity together with its Mediterranean climate and cosmopolitan character makes Barcelona an exciting place to study and live.
Program at a glance
- 4 or 6 week summer study abroad in Barcelona, Spain
- Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors
- 2.0 minimum GPA required
- No previous Spanish language study required
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, meal allowance (unless homestay or apartment*), London visit, excursions and cultural activities, day trips to Figueras, Gerona, Sitges and Montserrat, and more. Optional travel package available.
- 4-week students earn up to 4 credits, 6-week students earn up to 6 credits (supplemental course fees may be required, depending on course selection; see the Academics page)
- Courses in English in business, history, religious studies and sociology
- The local AIFS Resident Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Visa not required for U.S. citizens for less than a 3-month stay
- Transcripts issued by Universitat AutÚnoma Barcelona
*The program fee includes the student residence and meal allowance subsidy as standard. Students choosing the apartment or homestay option receive a discount on the program fee. Apartment students do not receive the meal allowance. Homestay students receive daily breakfast and dinner. See Housing and Meals for more information.
Application and scholarship deadlines
- The application deadline is March 15.
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship deadline is March 1.