Study Abroad in Stellenbosch: Overview
Study in South Africa’s second oldest city, 30 minutes from Cape Town. Live in this culturally rich University town surrounded by spectacular mountain ranges. Attend courses with more than 400 international students from other African countries and around the world. Take in more of the local culture on a vineyard and wine tasting tour and see the impressive sites of the South African coastline on a 6-day tour of the Garden Route and day trips to Cape Town, Robben Island and the Cape of Good Hope.
Program at a glance
- Academic year, July-November and January-June semesters (summer session also available)
- Open to college sophomores, juniors and seniors
- 2.5 minimum GPA required
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, some meals, excursions and cultural activities, Garden Route tour, and more. Optional travel package available.
- Courses offered in English in African studies, art ,conservation ecology, economics, English, history, literature, political science, service learning, sociology, theology, viticulture, and foreign languages
- Community volunteer opportunities available as well as a Service Learning Certificate
- On-site orientation in Stellenbosch
- The local AIFS Resident Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Study Permit (temporary residence permit) mandatory. Apply to the South African consulate
- Transcripts issued by Stellenbosch University
Application and scholarship deadlines
- Please note that acceptance to the AIFS Stellenbosch program does not guarantee acceptance to the Learning for Sustainable Community Engagement Program. Learning for Sustainable Community Engagement applications will be reviewed by the Learning for Sustainable Community Engagement Program Coordinators at Stellenbosch University and an acceptance decision will be provided prior to departure from the U.S.
- Fall semester is full; Spring semester is full.
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship application deadlines are April 15 (fall semester or academic year); September 15 (spring).
*Please note that applications, deposits and balance of fees arriving after the required deadline are subject to late fees.