Study Abroad in St. Petersburg: Overview
Study abroad in the most European Russian city. Founded in 1703 as Russia’s “Window to the West,” St. Petersburg still retains many of the Baroque splendors of the former empire, more bridges than Venice, and a fairy-tale atmosphere of gold-domed churches, elaborate palaces and riverside parks.
During your stay, you will enjoy visitsto local sights such as Russian, Dostoevsky and Hermitage museums and Pavlovsk and Yusupov Palaces. Expand your horizons with excursions to Moscow; London, England; Helsinki, Finland; and Tallinn, Estonia.
Program at a glance
- Academic year, fall or spring semester (summer session also available)
- Open to college freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors
- 2.5 minimum GPA required
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, a meal allowance, London visit, excursions and cultural activities, trips to Moscow and Helsinki, and more. Optional travel package available.
- Courses taught in English in art history, history, literature, political science, religion and sociology, plus Russian language. Courses taught in Russian available for advanced language students.
- No previous Russian language study required; however, all students are required to take a Russian language course during the program
- The local AIFS Resident Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Required visa is obtained by AIFS
- Transcripts issued by St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University
Application and scholarship deadlines
- Fall semester is full; Spring semester is full.
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship application deadlines are April 15 (fall semester or academic year); September 15 (spring).
*Please note that applications, deposits and balance of fees arriving after the required deadline are subject to late fees.