Internships in Florence: Overview
In Florence, artistic, cultural and historic richness is ever present. With the Pitti Palace, Piazza della Signoria, Accademia and San Marco creating a wonderful backdrop, it is no surprise that walking along the Arno River you come across artists attempting to capture this beautiful city.
Program at a glance
- Fall or spring semester
- Open to college juniors and seniors currently enrolled in a full-time degree program at an approved university (Students must have a minimum age of 18 by the application deadline)
- 2.75 minimum GPA required and at least 75 semester credits (105 quarter credits) by time of admission
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, some meals, excursions and cultural activities, airfare if selected, trips to Venice and Rome, and more. Optional travel package available.
- A one-semester unpaid internship in the Florence area for 6 credits plus a 2-week intensive language course for 3 credits. Students are also required to take a related course for 3 credits and the regular Italian course for 3 to 4 credits
- Internships available in a wide range of companies and institutions in international business, marketing, international relations, media, museums and galleries, social services and education
- 2-week on-site orientation in Florence
- Each student receives individual support and counselling
- The 2-week language course provides a fundamental basic knowledge of the Italian language. Seminars throughout the semester prepare students for the Florence workplace and support them during their internships
- The local AIFS Resident Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Student visa must be obtained before departure
- Transcripts issued by Richmond, The American International University in London. Transfer of credits easily arranged through Richmond, a U.S.-accredited university
Application and scholarship deadlines
- Fall semester is full; Spring semester is full.
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship application deadline is April 15 (fall), September 15 (spring).
*Please note that applications, deposits and balance of fees arriving after the required deadline are subject to late fees.