Study Abroad in Florence: Overview
In Florence, artistic, cultural and historic richness is ever present. With the Pitti Palace, Piazza della Signoria, Accademia and San Marco creating a wonderful backdrop, it is no surprise that walking along the Arno River you come across artists attempting to capture this beautiful city.
Program at a glance
- Academic year, fall or spring semester (summer session also available)
- Open to college sophomores, juniors and seniors (Students must have a minimum age of 18 by the application deadline)
- 2.5 minimum GPA required
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, some meals, excursions
and cultural activities, trips to Venice and Rome, and more. Optional travel package available.
- Courses include art history, communications, economics, history, international business, international relations, literature, marketing, music, philosophy, photography, religion, sociology, and studio art, as well as Italian language and culture
- No previous Italian language study required. Mandatory Italian language preparation during orientation through the Marina di Pietrasanta (fall) or Florence (spring). In addition, all students are required to take an Italian language course during the semester
- Internship program available
- Small studio art classes help develop drawing, painting and photography skills
- The local AIFS Resident Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Student visa must be obtained from an Italian consulate before departure
- Transcripts issued by Richmond, The American International University in London. Transfer of credits easily arranged through Richmond, a U.S.-accredited university
Application and scholarship deadlines
- Spring semester is full.
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship application deadlines are April 15 (fall semester or academic year); September 15 (spring).
*Please note that applications, deposits and balance of fees arriving after the required deadline are subject to late fees.