Study Abroad in Paris: Overview
Take in all that Paris has to offer while perfecting your French in “La Ville Lumière” (the City of Light). Through the years, the city has drawn intellectuals, free-thinkers, artists and revolutionaries. Paris is one of the world’s major global cities with a strong influence in politics, education, entertainment, media, fashion, science, and the arts.
The Orientation in Cannes is now optional.
Program at a glance
- Academic year, fall or spring semester, fall quarter (summer session also available)
- Open to college freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors (Students must be aged 18 or older by the application deadline)
- 2.5 minimum GPA required
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, some meals and optional meal plans, orientation in Cannes*, excursions and cultural activities, airfare if selected, and more (The 2-week orientation in Cannes is optional. Student who do not select this orientation receive a price reduction of $1,000.)
- No previous French language study required
- Courses taught in both French and English in art history, cultural studies, economics, fine arts, geography, history, literature, music, philosophy, political science, sociology and theater, plus French language
- Most courses are taken at the Cours de Civilisation Franšaise de la Sorbonne. Advanced level students may enroll in regular Cours de Civilisation Franšaise lecture courses for foreigners
- Optional 2-week language preparation and orientation at the Collège International de Cannes on the French Riviera (30 hours of language study, equivalent to 2 credits. Transcript from the Collège.) (The Orientation in Cannes is now optional. Students who do not select this orientation receive a fee reduction of $1,000.)
- The local AIFS Resident Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Student visa required (must be obtained before departing the U.S.)
- Transcripts issued by the Cours de Civilisation Française de la Sorbonne and the Académie de Port Royal, University of London Institute in Paris, Institut de Langue et de Culture Françaises and Schola Cantorum
Application and scholarship deadlines
- Application deadlines Fall semester is full; Spring semester with orientation is full.
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship application deadlines are April 15 (fall semester/quarter or academic year); September 15 (spring).
*Please note that applications, deposits and balance of fees arriving after the required deadline are subject to late fees.