Internships in London: Overview
Central London is just outside your door when you are living in AIFS residence halls in South Kensington, steps from Kensington Palace, the Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park. Hop on the Tube and visit Covent Garden, Camden Market (where you can buy vintage clothes and jewelry at a bargain) or Piccadilly Circus. See some of the world’s finest works of art at the National Gallery and then watch the sunset at Trafalgar Square while listening to street musicians.
Program at a glance
- Fall or spring semester (summer session also available)
- Open to college juniors and seniors currently enrolled in a full-time degree program at an approved university
- 2.75 minimum GPA required (3.0 for students seeking a placement in Finance and Policy, 3.2 for Psychology) and at least 75 semester credits (105 quarter credits) by time of admission
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, some meals, excursions and cultural activities, airfare if selected, a trip to Paris, and more
- A one semester unpaid internship in London for 6 credits plus a required Contemporary British Culture course for 3 credits and an additional one or two 3-credit courses
- Internships available in a wide range of companies and institutions in advertising, art and design, art history, event planning, fashion and beauty, finance and accounting, legal, marketing/market research, media, journalism and publishing, Music, non profit/NGO, politics and government, PR/communications, psychology and research, theater and theater management
- Extensive on-site orientation in London
- Each student receives individual support and counseling
- The required Contemporary British Culture course introduces societal values, perspectives and cultural issues. Seminars throughout the semester prepare students for the London workplace and support them during their internships
- The local AIFS Program Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Student visa must be obtained before departure
- Transcripts issued by Richmond, The American International University in London, a U.S.-accredited university
Application and scholarship deadlines
- Fall semester is full; Spring semester s full.
The final payment deadline has been moved to June 1 (Fall 2012) and November 1 (Spring 2013) to ensure students receive their visa letters for the International Internship program in a timely manner.
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship application deadlines are April 15 (fall); September 15 (spring).
*Please note that applications, deposits and balance of fees arriving after the required deadline are subject to late fees.
If you are traveling on an AIFS Partnerships faculty-led program through your home institution, see the AIFS Partnerships website.