Study Abroad in Havana: Overview
Presbyterian College, located in Clinton, South Carolina, offers students the unique opportunity to live and study in Cuba. AIFS is working with Presbyterian College to provide information about this opportunity to interested students. Presbyterian College has partnered with the University of Havana, enabling students to develop an understanding of the Cuban experience from a Cuban perspective, evaluate Western experiences against those of former colonies, and gain a new understanding of the relationship between the U.S. and Cuba.
Please Note: Although you are submitting your application for this program through the AIFS website, you will be applying to the Presbyterian College University of Havana program. AIFS will forward your application to Presbyterian College. If accepted, Presbyterian will require a deposit payment to hold your place and will invoice you directly for program fees.
Program at a glance
- Spring semester
- Earn 14–17 credits through Presbyterian College/University of Havana
- Take courses in the History, Politics, and Society of Cuba; Cuba in International Systems; Cross-Cultural Communications; and Spanish language. A variety of courses in Spanish is available to students fluent in Spanish
- Complete 80 hours of directed activities in the City of Havana, including encounters with staff members of health, educational, and political institutions, as well as with elected representatives of mass organizations of workers, women, students, neighborhoods, and farmers
- Students live in a University-approved residence and receive some meals in the residence
- Excursions to Santiago de Cuba and Bayamo, Playa Girón and Trinidad, Cienfuegos and Santa Clara, Pinar del Rio, and Veradero
- Transcripts issued by Presbyterian College (Advanced-level students taking a regular University course will also receive a transcipt from the University of Havana
- Spaces will be limited. Presbyterian College encourages interested students to apply early.
Application and scholarship deadlines
- Spring semester is closed.
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship application deadline is September 15 (spring).