Study Abroad in San José: Overview
Study in this lively capital of Costa Rica where you can enjoy all the facilities of a big city while being within reach of two coasts, volcanoes and national parks of the central highlands.
Experience “Tico” culture first hand and practice your language skills by living and sharing meals with your local host family. Get to know more of Costa Rica with cultural activities including tours, museum visits and even tropical dance lessons!
Program at a glance
- Academic year, fall and spring semester (summer session and January Term program also available )
- Open to high school graduates, college freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors
- 2.6 minimum GPA required
- Program fee includes tuition, housing, a meal plan, cultural activities, excursions to Poás Volcano and La Paz Waterfall, Manuel Antonio National Park and optional travel package
- No previous Spanish language study required for most courses (although Spanish language study is mandatory)
- Elective courses in English
- Courses in the arts, business, economics, ecotourism, environmental science, film studies, international relations, photography, physical therapy, political science, social science, Spanish language, plus literature and linguistics for Advanced Spanish level students
- The local AIFS Resident Director and staff organize cultural activities and housing, act as a liaison between students and the university, and are available 24/7 in case of emergencies
- Internships available
- Community volunteer projects with children
- Transcripts issued by Veritas University
Application and scholarship deadlines
- Application deadlines Fall semester is full; October 15 (spring)
- AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships available. The scholarship application deadlines are April 15 (fall semester or academic year); September 15 (spring).
*Please note that applications, deposits and balance of fees arriving after the required deadline are subject to late fees.